Employment FAQ


How do I apply to a position or faculty pool? In order to be considered for a position or faculty pool, you must apply online at jobs.marin.edu.
  • Full-time Faculty and Educational Administrative positions are listed on the home page. For Classified Staff, Classified Management, and Part-time Temporary Faculty Pool opportunities, click the menu button in the upper left corner of the screen to select the desired category.
  • Click the desired posting title to review the posting. Be sure to review the Required Application Documents section, then click “Apply” at the top of the posting.
  • If you have not applied in the NeoGov system previously, follow the onscreen instructions for creating an account.
  • The system will guide you through the steps for submitting your application data and attachments online.
  • The system only allows applications to a specific position or pool; it does not allow “general” applications.
I can’t remember my user name or password.

Use the “Forgot User Name” feature to retrieve your user name and “Reset Password” to receive an email with a reset link for creating a new password.

Why does it say “GovernmentJobs.com” or “NeoGov” in my address bar?

College of Marin’s job site is powered by NeoGov (a.k.a. GovernmentJobs.com).

Can I apply for a position or pool by just sending in my resume?

No, we do not accept resume submissions in lieu of the online employment application.

If I visit the Human Resources department in person, would I have a better chance of getting the job?

Unfortunately, we are not able to accommodate drop-ins for application purposes, and in order to be considered for an open position or faculty pool, you must apply online.

How can I tell if a position or faculty pool is still open?

A. Positions

If the posting displays a Priority Screening Date and Open Until Filled, applications may still be submitted. However, applications received after the Priority Screening Date are not guaranteed a review and may be considered thereafter at the discretion of the College until the position is filled.

B. Part-time Temporary Faculty Pools

Most part-time temporary faculty pools are posted on a continuous basis, even if there are no current openings in the discipline. This way, when new openings become available in a department and they need to fill a new pool of part-time instructors, they may screen the applications we have received to date. Some disciplines are not posted continuously and instead have a defined posting period; in these cases, the application deadline date will be displayed at the top of the posting.

If a hiring department anticipates a screening for a continuously posted temp pool, a Next Screening Date will display at the top of the posting. All application materials must be received by this date in order to be considered. Applications received after this date will remain on file until the next screening OR for up to one year from the date of application, whichever occurs first. If your application becomes inactive after one year, you may re-apply to the pool at that time. Screenings and interviews can be conducted at any point in time as the hiring department necessitates. Once a screening has occurred, applicants will be notified of their status.

(See “What is a Temporary Pool?” below for definitions.)

What is a Temporary Pool?

Part-time Temporary Faculty Pools are established to fill part-time, temporary and/or substitute openings in a department. Pools typically remain active for 2-3 years, depending on the pool members’ availability. Assignments for pool instructors can vary in duration and they are not guaranteed. (Some applicants may be more familiar with the term “Adjunct Pool”, which is the same as our Part-time Temporary Pool.)

College of Marin does not recruit for part-time faculty positions – all part-time faculty assignments are filled with members of the Part-time Temporary Pool.

I’m trying to apply to a position, but I cannot find the APPLY button.

College of Marin only accepts application submissions on its own job site (http://jobs.marin.edu). We do not accept applications through the CCC Registry, LinkedIn, or other platforms, so be sure to verify that you are on our site.

I saw a position on the CCC Registry web site (or any other web site), but I do not see it on your web site. Is it still open?

If a position is not located on our website, it’s not open to receiving applications. Please note: Sometimes there is a delay in the removal of our postings from other sites.

I’m having trouble accessing your job site (or other, technical issues).

Some internet browsers may be the culprit. Google Chrome and Firefox tend to work more compatibly with our system than others. PC users may need to clear their cookies, and in general, restarting your computer often resolves the issue. If this doesn’t help, we recommend contacting NeoGov technical assistance at (855) 524-5627, Option 1

Was my application received?

When submitting your online application, at the end, when you clicked “Submit”, you should have seen a confirmation on your screen. Also, you can log into the system at jobs.marin.edu to view your Submitted (or Incomplete) applications. If submitted successfully, it will appear under the “Submitted” tab; if not, it will appear under “Incomplete”.

How do I find out the status of my application?

Applicants will be notified of their status once the screening committee has completed its review of applications. Depending on the posting, this take up to 4-6 weeks from the application deadline date, depending on the position/pool

Do I have to submit a separate application for each position or pool for which I want to apply?

Yes, you must submit a separate application for each, but the system will allow you to reuse as much of the data and as many of the attachments you submit with your first application for subsequent applications; so, you will not need to start from scratch. We do, however, recommend attaching a cover letter that speaks specifically to each position or

pool to which you are applying. And, if your first application was submitted some time ago, be sure to update your data and resume accordingly.

Can I still apply to a faculty position or pool if I don’t meet the stated minimum requirements?

Faculty and Educational Administrator applicants who do not specifically meet the minimum educational qualifications as stated in the posting may apply for these positions by requesting consideration based upon an assertion of “Degree Equivalence” and/or “Professional Achievement Equivalence” (see below). Applying on the basis of equivalency means that the applicant feels they have a combination of education and/or experience that would be considered at least equivalent to the stated minimum qualifications, allowing them to teach under the discipline.

If you feel that you qualify under equivalency, please provide the basis for this claim in your application where indicated (in the Agency Questions section) and submit supporting evidence where applicable (as an attachment). Copies of applicable transcripts must accompany the application and all foreign credentials must be accompanied by a Foreign Credential Evaluation in order for equivalency to be determined.

All degrees and units to satisfy minimum qualifications must be from accredited institutions. For the purpose of the equivalency process, "accredited institution" means a postsecondary institution accredited by an accreditation agency recognized by either the U.S. Department of Education or the Council for Higher Education Accreditation.

Preparation, experience, and ability must be equivalent to those expected from an applicant who meets the stated minimum qualifications. Supporting documentation verifying years and responsibilities relative to teaching and/or occupational experience must directly address the equivalence that you are requesting and must accompany this application.

Applicants applying to faculty and/or educational administrative positions or pools whose required degrees are not yet posted on their transcripts at the time of application must request an equivalency review.

Whom would I contact for an informational interview?

College of Marin does not offer informational interviews. All questions regarding should be directed to Human Resources at hrjobs@marin.edu.


DOCUMENT ATTACHMENTS (Transcripts, resumes, etc.)

To whom should I address my cover letter?

Your application materials will be reviewed by a screening committee versus a particular individual, so you may address it to the “Screening Committee”.

The system is not allowing me to attach my transcript (or other document).

Check the document’s file size to be sure it doesn’t exceed 5MB; if it does, resize it or break it into parts.

Why do I need my transcripts?

The California Code of Regulations requires that degrees and college level coursework that are required of a position/pool must be authenticated via the transcript.

I did not need to submit a transcript at other institutions I worked at, why do I need to submit one at College of Marin?

Every institution has its own policy. College of Marin’s is that all prospective faculty and staff provide evidence of their credentials in order to be considered for employment and so that we may comply with state requirements.

I don’t have my transcripts. Can I still apply?

If “transcripts” are listed as Required Application Documents in the posting, they must be attached to the application by the application deadline date in order to render the application complete; incomplete applications will not be considered.

If transcripts have been ordered and will be available for attachment by the deadline, the applicant may apply, but would need to attach a placeholder document in the transcript’s place to allow the system to accept the application. Once the application is available, it should be emailed to Julie Breakstone or Kirsten Gisle in Human Resources for attachment. If the transcript is not received in Human Resources by the application deadline date the application will be rendered incomplete and ineligible for consideration.

All I have are official transcripts in sealed envelopes. Should I open them to attach them to my application?

Yes, open them, scan them, and attach them yourself. This allows you to keep the official document for later use. Keep the envelope in which the transcript was provided in case you are hired; we would require your official transcript upon hire.

Are unofficial transcripts acceptable?

Yes, for application purposes; official transcripts would be required upon hire. Unofficial transcripts must include the institution’s name, your name, coursework taken, grades achieved, and they must confer the degree.

I forgot to add a document (transcript, license, etc.) to my application. Can I add it now?

Applicants cannot amend their own application once it’s been submitted. Email the document to Julie Breakstone or Kirsten Gisle in Human Resources by the application deadline date and they will attach it on your behalf.

What if I don't have the required documents in an electronic format? Some options include:
  • Scan your documents and attach them to your application. · If you do not have access to a scanner, the iPhone’s Notes feature allows you to scan documents to PDF and send them as an email attachment. For scanning on Android phones, click here.
  • Use your phone to take photos of your documents and attach them as JPEG files to your application; however, because JPEG files are typically larger, they may exceed the 5 MG maximum file size (PDFs are preferable).
  • Documents from other sources such as transcripts and letters of recommendation may be mailed to the Human Resources department for scanning. These documents must be received by the closing date. Human Resources will scan your documents into a PDF format and will attach the electronic files to your applicable online application. Please allow a few days for documents to be attached. You may login to the site to review and confirm the document attachments.
NOTE: All submitted materials will become the property of the Marin Community College District, and will not be returned to the applicant.
I made an error on my resume. How can I submit a corrected one?

Applicants cannot amend their own application once it’s been submitted. Email the revised document to Julie Breakstone or Kirsten Gisle in Human Resources by the application deadline date and they will replace the original document on your behalf.

I have gained new experience or skills since I submitted my application to a continuously posted faculty pool. How can I update my application and resume/CV?

Once submitted, an application may not be amended by the applicant. If less than one year has passed, you may email an updated resume/CV to Kirsten Gisle in Human Resources for attachment; however, we will not be able to update the application data itself. If more than one year has passed, you should re-apply at jobs.marin.edu to provide your new data and updated attachments.

My degree/s was/were obtained outside the U.S. Do I need to attach a Foreign Credential Evaluation?

Where applicable, foreign degree credentials must be evaluated by a third party to determine the equivalent U.S. degree and major. Please review the following points carefully to determine whether you must submit a Foreign Credential Evaluation (FCE) with your application. Evaluations should provide the name of the institution attended, a description of your credentials, the major of study, and the U.S. equivalent for each credential. For a list of evaluating agencies, visit the State of California Commission on Teacher Credentialing.

  • If you satisfy the minimum educational requirement with a degree that was granted in the U.S., but your previous degree(s) was obtained from a foreign institution, you do not need to attach a Foreign Credential Evaluation (FCE) for your previous degree(s). You must, however, attach a copy of a (translated) transcript for the previous degree. For additional clarification of acceptable transcripts, please contact Human Resources.
  • If your degree that satisfies the minimum educational requirement was obtained from a foreign institution, you must submit an FCE for that degree and any other foreign degrees leading up to it.
  • If you are asserting equivalence and any of your degrees was obtained outside the U.S., you must attach an FCE for your foreign degree(s).
Are letters of recommendation required?

Letters of recommendation (LORs) are optional but welcome. When attaching LORs, select “References” as the Attachment Type.



What is the Application/Screening Process?
  • Applicants must complete and apply online on our job site. All required documents need to be attached to the online application by the closing (deadline) date.
  • Applications will be screened for minimum requirements by Human Resources.
  • Applications for Educational Administrative and Faculty applicants seeking equivalency will be reviewed for equivalency by an equivalency committee comprised of subject matter experts in the discipline.
  • Applications that meet the minimum requirements will be reviewed by the Screening Committee to determine interview candidates. This process takes approximately 4-6 weeks from the closing date of a posting, depending on the position/pool.
  • Once the screening process has been completed, all applicants will be notified of their application status, and if selected to interview for the position/pool, candidates will be contacted to arrange an interview with the Screening Committee.
  • Management and full-time faculty positions, as well as many classified staff positions, will require a second interview for those candidates moved forward by the Committee. Part-time Temporary Faculty Pools do not typically require two interviews.
NOTE: Meeting minimum requirements for a position/pool does not guarantee an interview.
When will I hear back about my application status?

For positions or Part-time Temporary Faculty Pools that indicate an application deadline date (or a Priority Screening Date or Next Screening Date), screening will begin after the application deadline and may take up to 4-6 weeks. Applicants will be notified of their status thereafter.

For Part-time Temporary Faculty Pools that do not indicate a Next Screening Date, your application will remain active until the next screening or for up to one year, whichever occurs first. You may not be contacted regarding your application status until the screening has taken place.

Be sure to add info@governmentjobs.com to your address book/approved list of senders to ensure you receive our email communications.

Who is on the screening committee?

Recruitment is a participatory governance process at College of Marin; therefore, screening committees are comprised of a combination of administrators, faculty and classified staff, depending on the position/pool. Committee members’ identities are not divulged in advance of an interview. The number of committee members typically ranges from three (3) to seven (7) for any given recruitment.

Will I have to do a teaching demonstration or presentation?

Most management and faculty positions/pools will require a teaching demonstration or presentation as part of the interview process.



How may I request reasonable accommodation for the application process?

Persons with disabilities who require a reasonable accommodation to complete the application and interview process may request assistance by contacting Human Resources at (415) 485-9340 or hrjobs@marin.edu.

Does College of Marin sponsor visa applications?

College of Marin does not currently sponsor visas.

Does College of Marin reimburse applicants for recruitment-related expenses?

Regrettably, COM is not able to reimburse applicants for any expenses, such as transcripts or transcript evaluations, travel, relocation, required licensure or certification

Does College of Marin offer online-only faculty positions or pools?

College of Marin does not currently offer online-only teaching assignments; all faculty members must be available to teach in the classroom, in person.

I have submitted (or will be submitting) an application, but I would like to discuss my background with the appropriate department or dean; whom should I contact?

Hiring departments will refer any inquiries from applicants to Human Resources; therefore, please direct all questions to HR at hrjobs@marin.edu.

I’m a local employer and would like to post a Help Wanted ad for your students?

College of Marin’s Transfer & Career Center hosts an online job board for students and community members.


Don’t see your question here? Email us at hrjobs@marin.edu.