Guidelines for Hiring Short-term (Non-Student Hourly)

Education Code Section 88003 does not require Community College Districts to create permanent new classified positions for work that is not an on-going or continuous component of their services or activities. Therefore, Districts given limited flexibility to employ a person on a temporary basis that are exempt from the classified services, where the work involved is temporary or short-term in nature. The specific situation includes:

  1. Short-­Term Employee (Non-Student Hourly)
  2. Substitute Employee (Non-Student Hourly)
  3. Professional Expert Employee (Non-Student Hourly)

Short-Term Employees (Non-Student Hourly)

Short-term (less than 165 working days)
Refers to all other non-student, short-term employees that are not Sub/Leave or Vacancy Replacements.

A. Any person employed to perform a service for the District upon the completion of which the service required or similar services will not be extended or needed on a continuing basis.

B. The Education Code allows the employment of short‐term employees outside the Classified Service under specified conditions:

  • The person can only be employed to perform a short‐term service, upon the completion of which, the service will not be extended, and
  • Short‐term employee services shall not exceed 165 working days, including holidays, sick leave, vacation, and other leaves of absences, irrespective of a number of hours worked per day.
  • Short‐term employees may not exceed 37.5 hours per week. Short‐term and substitutes may be granted overtime only with the authorization of their manager.
  • Commercial temporary employment agency services may be used
  • No short‐term employee may be assigned or allowed to begin work prior to the completion of appropriate Human Resources requirements.

Substitute Employee (Non-Student Hourly)

Any person employed to perform a service for the District upon the completion of which the service required or similar services will not be extended or needed on a continuing basis. Substitutes may include:

Sub/Leave Replacement (less than 165 working days)

Refers to a Non-student hourly employee that is temporarily replacing a classified employee while an employee is temporarily absent from duty. A substitute employee cannot work more than 165 days.

Vacancy Replacement (60 calendar days only)

Refers to non-student hourly employees employed to fill a vacancy while an active recruitment is in progress to fill the vacant position. If the District is engaged in a procedure to hire a permanent employee to fill a vacancy, one or more substitute employees may be employed for not more than 60 calendar days. Exceptions will be addressed with the appropriate bargaining unit.

Professional Expert (Non-Student Hourly)

Professional Experts are short-term employees. This type of employee provides discrete, finite, project-based work to the District that requires specialized knowledge and professional expertise outside of the classified service. Human Resources will consider your request to hire a professional expert as long as the following criteria apply: 

  1. They have professional expertise (i.e., specialized knowledge or expertise not generally found within the district’s regular classified services;
  2. They are employed on a temporary or finite basic;
  3. They are employed to work on a specific project.

Professional Experts must be approved by the Board of Trustees at a regularly scheduled Board meeting before beginning work. After approval, the onboarding requirements for a Professional Expert are the same as any other short-term hourly employee. For guidance, please contact Human Resources.

Short-Term Employee Request

To request non-student hourly employees, please complete the Request for Non-Student Hourly Employees Form. All short-term (non-student hourly) employees require Board of Trustees approval. A short-term employee may not start work until all district requirements have been met. Newly hired employees on-boarding paperwork is coordinated between the employee, the department, and Human Resources. To better assist you with identifying the appropriate contact in Human Resources, please refer to the Contact and Support page.