Short-term Employment FAQ

When can a new hire start?

A short-term hourly employee may not start until all District requirements have been met, including HR onboarding, Livescan and TB clearance. Non-student hourly employees must also have Board approval.

Does the position need Board approval? If so, how do I obtain approval?

All non-student hourly positions require board approval at a regularly scheduled Board of Trustees meeting. Budget managers must submit a Short-Term Hourly Board Action Form to Human Resources. Sub/Leave replacements, Vacancy Replacements and Professional Experts also require Board approval. Please contact Human Resources for guidance regarding the Board Approval process and deadlines.

I am rehiring a short-term hourly employee who has worked here before, what new hire paperwork is required for the employee? 

If there has been a significant length of time between employment with College of Marin for a returning short-term employee; updated paperwork (i.e. tax forms, TB, Fingerprint clearances, etc.) may be required prior to the start of employment. Please check with Human Resources if you are unsure so that we can pull the personnel file.

How do I route a PAF? 

The Personnel Action Form (PAF) is required for all hourly employment actions. The Department should initiate the PAF. Be sure to obtain the employee’s signature and the signature of the Budget Manger. Route the original PAF to Fiscal. After Fiscal verifies the FOAP and signs the PAF, it will be sent to HR for processing.

Where do I get the position number for an hourly employee’s timecard? 

Please contact your Department Administrative Assistant who will have received this information from Human Resources when the PAF was processed.

How long can a short-term hourly employee work for the District? 

According to Ed. Code 88003: non-student, short-term employees are limited to working 75 percent of a college year which means 165 working days, including holiday, sick leave, vacation and other leaves of absences, irrespective of number of hours worked per day. Non-student, short-term employees must be tracked for compliance. Tracking is encouraged via timecards by the department prior to sending them to payroll for processing each month. Additionally, non-student hourly employees who exceed 1000 working hours in a Fiscal year will be enrolled in CalPERS.

How many hours can an employee work each week? 

Non-student employees may work up to 37.5 hours per week, depending on the position’s board approved status. Student employees may work up to 25 hours per week.

Can a short-term hourly employee work over-time? 

Overtime may only be authorized by the manager.

What rest breaks and lunch periods are required for short-term hourly employees? 

Under California law (IWC Orders and Labor Code Section 512), employees must be provided with no less than a thirty-minute meal period when the work period is more than five hours. Additionally, hourly employees are entitled to a 10-minute paid rest period for every four hours worked or major fraction thereof. The rest period should be approximately in the middle of the work period.

Can I have volunteers in my Department?

The District engages volunteers on a very limited basis. Please contact the Human Resources Department for guidance on volunteer opportunities. Volunteers may not be used in lieu of classified employees. Managers must submit a Volunteer Service Request form to Human Resources for approval. Volunteers must complete a background check and TB screening.